Friday, 10 June 2011

books i've read recently

NOW by Gabriel Josipovici
Think this was about 95% dialogue and there seemed to be a fair amount of characters so it became confusing at times as to who was who. Really enjoyed reading it though. Got it out from the library. Want to read more novels by him.

THE LESSONS OF MODERNISM by Gabriel Josipovici
Still kind of reading this. Collection of essays. Seems to reaffirm a lot of beliefs I have about "art", I guess.

SIX MORAL TALES by Eric Rohmer
Written as short stories before they were eventually made in to films. Some are a little different from the film versions. Reminds me of Nouveau Roman-style, maybe. Makes me want to write a book of several short stories all with the same basic plot.

GROW UP by Ben Brooks
3255 (iphone) page coming-of-age epic. Really enjoyable book. Made me think of being in sixth form, but not really in a nostalgic way. Made me laugh out loud a lot. A lot more straight-forward (and at times laconic) than Fences or TKSN, but still has some great poetic lines. There's also an 'on-drugs' 'stream-of-consciousness' bit which didn't make me cringe at all and I actually thought was really good. That's probably a first ever. Looking forward to getting the real version and giving it to people I know. Looking forward to seeing what other people think of it.

LITTLE HANDS CLAPPING by Dan Rhodes
I'm about 2/3rds the way through. Seems to be a lot of character developing back-stories for the first third of the book. Looking forward to seeing how it comes together. I feel like I haven't read something like this in a long time as most of the contemporary stuff I read is by people on the internet. Seems refreshing for me. Ben sent it to me because he is nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment